Wednesday, May 12, 2021

Fact Checking for the Win

 After the flurry of morning activity had died down, Deus Ex Machina was out the door with his belly full of homemade breakfast sandwich (with eggs from our backyard flock and a slice of ham from a Maine-based producer), a cup of home-brewed coffee-to-go, and his lunch packed neatly in his new lunch bag, I sat down for a couple of minutes of coffee and relaxation before I had to start part II of my morning flurry (tending the farm, showering, and ferrying Precious over to her friend's house).  

I have been on the Internet and on social media since its inception.  Back in the early days of human-to-human *computer-interfaced* interaction (what today's folks would call Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, etc.), we had email and message boards.  I learned a lot in those days about how not-to act and react with people online.  

It was a lot more anonymous back in those days, and so we could be a little less tactful, and many of us were.  I tried, in those days, to be very aware that on the other side of those printed words on the computer display, the moniker "H2OColor" was an actual person and not some faceless screen with disembodied hands typing on a keyboard and refuting my comments.

But what I also learned was to be very careful about what I put out there.  If I make assertions, I fact-check those comments to the extent possible, using as many resources as I can find.  I have been caught too may times with my proverbial pants down, by posting something that wasn't, necessarily, entirely, true.  

The other day Deus Ex Machina gave me a very high compliment.  He told me that I am a very intelligent person who is inclined to do a lot of research into topics, to be sure that I understand EXACTLY what the issue is.  It's true.  I am fascinated by stuff, but moreover, I just don't like to have someone challenge what I've said.  If I say it, especially emphatically, chances are very good that I've spent some time looking it up.

So, this morning, after Deus Ex Machina left with a full belly and a cuppa-to-go, I sat down and scrolled through Linked In, one of the more "professional" social media platforms.  I found an article entitled "25 Random Trivia Facts for Springtime", which was actually published by a company to which I had applied for a job as a trivia writer.  I mean, who doesn't love trivia?  And as someone who, at one time, had a brain-full of trivial information (like, I could name all of Charlie's Angels, and the actresses who played them), I figured I was shoo-in.  I was passed over for the job, but I am still connected to the company via Linked In.

The article caught my eye (there was a pretty picture of bright yellow flowers), and so I clicked on it and started scrolling.  

My favorite fact was #13: "Guinness was first brewed in 1759.  It's older than the United States." That was interesting, and I was thinking, as I continued to scroll and read, that I was going to share the article.  

Then, I got to #19: "Lisa Kudrow is the oldest of the main 'Friends' cast members.  She was born in 1983."  I paused.  1983?  And I tried to do some quick math.  My son was born in the 1980s.  Wait?  Lisa Kudrow is young enough to be my kid?  No effing way!

So, I looked it up.  A 10 second "fact check" (and I have a SLOW internet connection).  Not only is Lisa Kudrow NOT young enough to be my kid, she's actually older than I am.  Of the original cast members, only three are younger than I am - Matt Leblanc by only a few months, and Jennifer Aniston and Matthew Perry by two years.  In fact, the "Friends" could have been my friends.

I stopped reading at #19. 

Their "fun facts", while subjectively fun, were not facts.  

Deus Ex Machina and I have been watching Designated Survivor on Netflix (I mean, it's Keifer Sutherland, another of those 1980s/90s heart-throbs who could have been my friend had the stars aligned differently).  Sutherland plays a reluctant US President, and his entire advancement to that esteemed office is shadowed by some controversy or other.  My favorite character is Seth - who is the White House Press Secretary.  

What's frustrating is to see the, potentially very real, way that the press, the very folks who should be seeking actual facts and truth - BEFORE they release that information to the public - will run with a half story.

It's also disheartening to watch them "spin" a story.  

And what's the most frustrating aspect is that I know that the show is fiction, but what they are depicting is just too very real.

The news media is not interested in telling the facts.  Nor are they particularly motivated to print truths.  What they want are stories.  

It's very easy to get caught up in the news and in the media frenzy.  It's easy to fall prey to believing that every thing they say has been thoroughly vetted.

But like #19 in the Trivia Hub's "Fun Facts for Spring", sometimes things that aren't true at all are presented as if they are carved-in-stone facts.   It becomes very difficult to determine what's real and what's someone's oversight or pure imagination.

Next time you see a report that seems very sensational, my challenge, to you, is to stop for one second, take a very deep, Yoga breath, and dig deeper.  

I had a conversation with my son-in-law the other day, following the cyberattack on the pipeline.  He'd posted a meme, and it was funny.  It said, essentially, "When a panic about a shortage, causes a shortage."  It happened with toilet paper and canned goods last year, when we were informed, by the news media, that there were shortages on food and toilet paper.  The implication of his meme is that it's happening with gasoline right now.  

The question is, IS it REALLY happening, or are the piranha, who call themselves journalists, giving us the information that they think we *want * to know?

My comment to my SIL's meme was "This is exactly why I am a prepper."  He replied, in effect, "Sure, but it's hard to stockpile gasoline."  To which I stated, "Prepping isn't just about stocking up.   It's really about planning and finding alternatives."

And, it's all connected, I swear - the fact checking and the prepping are all a part of how I navigate my world.  

And both of those things - dispelling the worry over things I can't control by looking shit up and taking charge of the things that I can control - empower me, and take away that fear that somehow I am in danger.

I don't live in fear.  I live in action.  

And Lisa Kudrow is not young enough to be my kid, but Guinness Beer is old enough to be the daddy of the United States.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent points! I did about six months research before I got urban chickens. I wanted to really know what I was getting into as far as care and money. I have seen lots of bad info out there to online. I've been using a lot of different social media lately to see about what's going on in other parts of the country but I take it all with a grain of salt. And Idaho we have different issues and some places like our drought. No flooding here! And yes I agree it's not about stockpiling it's about planning alternatives. Like we have bicycles and there's trouble Transportation if we didn't have our car isnt running

    ReplyDelete