Wednesday, December 8, 2021

Making Stuff, Or Why I Will Never Be a Marie Kondo Convert

Precious and I headed out to the store the other day.  I had a very short list of things for which I was searching.  Among the items was a storage basket for Deus Ex Machina.  He has been working on this project, and he's in the production phase, which means he has a bunch of materials for making this product he has engineered.  Unfortunately, the way that he was storing said items was ... well, kind of messy, and kind of in the way, especially if we intend to put up a Holiday tree, which I do ... intend to do.

My plan was to get a basket to stash his stuff, which could, then, be stored under the bench at our dining room table (where he is doing most of his work anyway).  I've probably mentioned it before, but we don't have a lot of storage space in my house.  We don't have very many closets, cabinets, drawers, or nooks.  So, I use baskets, a lot.  Not only are baskets wonderful for taming miscellaneous clutter, but they're also kind of cute and fit with my overall "functional homestead" decor.    

So, we headed over to the Christmas Tree Shop, which is right next door to Michael's.  I figured one or the other place would have what I was looking for.

The Christmas Tree Shop, sort of, had what I was looking for.  They didn't have any baskets, but they did have cloth storage boxes - 2 for $9.99.  It wasn't exactly what I wanted, but with no other good choices, I grabbed the package of two and headed for the cash register,

But, then, we saw the LINE!  There were two registers open with a line that wended its way in a zigzag  through the store, 30 FULL carts deep in BOTH lines.

Have I mentioned that I hate waiting?  

Precious, who usually likes to shop, took one look at that line and channeled me.

"That's a long line," she says.

"Yep," I replied.

We decided that nothing we were holding was worth that wait, put our stuff back, and headed next door to Michael's.

We walked through the doors and were immediately struck by the empty shelves.  It was surreal.  The last time I saw shelves that empty was the toilet paper aisle at Hannaford from March to June 2020.  

Undaunted, we continued on our mission to find a storage container and headed more deeply into the store.  After the third lap around the store, I had to admit that there were no baskets.  Wait. What?  There were no baskets?  Michael's always has baskets and boxes, and cute little storage containers.  Always.  I was shocked and disappointed.    

And we left, empty-handed ... again.

After that, we were done and headed back home, defeated.

But I think, if I had bought something that I didn't really want, I would have been more disappointed in having spent the money.

The truth is that times like these are good for me, because they remind me that I, usually, have the skill, knowledge, and ability to make my own whatever it is that I'm looking to buy.  Baskets are no exception.

In fact, a few weeks ago, Deus Ex Machina and I spent a lovely Saturday morning at a basket-weaving workshop where we learned to make baskets out of Bittersweet, which is an invasive vine here in southern Maine.  



What's funny is that Deus Ex Machina and I started making baskets out of barn rope many years ago using the same technique that we learned in the workshop.  I know how to make baskets.

And because I'm not a Marie Kondo convert, but rather a very skilled prepper, I often have the supplies on hand to make exactly what I need - or, as we were reminded in the workshop, I can usually find what I need, in this case, by going out in my yard and cutting back some invasive Bittersweet vine.

For Deus Ex Machina's storage basket or box, I wanted something square or rectangular rather than circular.  So, the basket weaving wasn't my first choice. 

After I couldn't buy what I wanted, my plan was to repurpose a cardboard box into a storage  container that didn't look like a cardboard box. 

When Precious and I returned home from our failed shopping trip the other day, I found the perfect box.  My plan was to cover it with fabric.  Then, I remembered that we had some twine rope.  I don't even recall where we got it, or when.  I'm pretty sure that it's been stored under a bed or on a shelf for the half of this century.  I found it, today, stashed in our under-the-bed drawers.  




We also have a hot glue gun, because while I'm not terribly crafty, we did homeschool, which means I have a lot of craft supplies and tools.  

And so, using what I had on hand, I made a storage container.  It's lined with one of Deus Ex Machina's holey polo shirts, because I often keep old clothes, too, which eventually become something else - like rag rugs, or quilts, ... or the lining of a box-turned-basket.  


Including the cost of the glue sticks for my hot glue gun, my homemade basket only cost $2.  

This similar basket at IKEA is $12.99.  

By making my own, I saved $10.99. 

And the hour I saved by not standing in a very long line to purchase something that would only sort of do what I needed, I spent being creative, and I probably saved a lot more, anyway, because the reality is that I would have probably made a few impulse purchases while waiting in that line.    

Sometimes I get annoyed when the clutter starts to overflow my living spaces, but in the end, I know that I can never fully embrace the whole Marie Kondo lifestyle, because while that rope didn't give me any particular joy until I used it for something I needed, the storage basket I made, DOES give me a great deal of joy.  It's functional, and it's pretty.  If I had taken MK's advice, I wouldn't have been able to make that lovely container.  

For me, there has to be a balance of keeping vs. throwing away, because sometimes deciding that an item is not worth keeping based on whether or not it "brings joy" in the present, could result in a missed opportunity for joy in the future.  


11 comments:

  1. I hear you on that! I'm seeing more shortages in our area as well and hearing from some of my customers at my job about shortages on medications being in back order. Well I love some of Marie kondos ideas especially with getting rid of old family things, we couldn't do that either. When you're diyers and trying to be more sustainable you don't just go out and buy everything you reuse what you have. We also plan ahead with collecting used lumber, etc for upcoming projects we also give away things we don't need. That's a great skill set to know how to make baskets! So it's fun to see something that you've made to versus buying in the store

    ReplyDelete
  2. The basket looks awesome! I'm going to have to try this some time. I remember reading posts a few years back from a blogger who sews rope baskets; they look amazing, but were too involved for me (as a non-sewer - she had all kinds of heavy duty things on a commercial machine she had invested in). This is waaaaay more approachable for me. Now to steal the glue gun back from the Bubby.... LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I made a second one on Christmas Eve to corral my daughter's *stuff* so that I could get ready for the company we were having on Christmas Day. She has a lot of stuff. The basket is perfect. And it fits under the bench at the dining room table. The best thing over the past two days has been her asking me where something is, and I say, "Have you checked your basket?" :)

      Delete
    2. I'm going to call that win/win/win. LOL

      Delete
  3. I certainly agree! My husband and I are both big do-it-yourselfers. For instance we've taken free lumber and hardscaping and stashed it overtime. That's how we built our chicken coop and did some of our Landscaping in the yard. We would stockpile free materials. We also have given away free materials that we realized we weren't really going to use. Marie kondo will never be very self-sufficient I think although I do appreciate some of her ideas. I did get rid of some old things that I had and never used that really didn't mean anything to me. That really helped! I do like the idea of really keeping what you love instead of just stuff. Being a do-it-yourselfer and be more self-sufficient though sometimes it's good to have those extra things on hand.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! This is one of the reasons I keep stuff - because I might need it for a future project, and I just never know. Like my basket. Who could have imagined that I would need that rope for a basket someday??

      Delete
  4. We have invasive vines. Kudzu. And yes, I’ve been seriously considering cutting a few miles of vines and making some baskets. I still have a few tomatoes from our containers… first frost didn’t hit until Nov. 14 here, and there were a bunch of greenies to grab. They took their sweet time ripening. Anyway, I want a basket I can put tomatoes (or whatever else) in when I go pick next year.

    I have some (I think) curly dock growing in one of the containers, now. Next year, I’ll sow spinach in the containers some time in October.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hear that kudzu is edible. I also hear that goats thrive on a diet of kudzu vine. We don't have kudzu this far north ... yet.

      Delete
  5. I fully agree, now if I only had a brain or sytem to remember what I have and where I put it......

    ReplyDelete
  6. Next time, try just up the road at the Goodwill! They often have baskets (in the back of the store near the cooking/domestic goods) of all shapes and sizes for very reasonable prices!

    I think there is a balance between keeping a lot of stuff (with the thinking that they might come in handy some day) vs. trying to pare down a bit to a manageable level. I admit that I am not good and finding where this line is. I've both kept things way too long (ultimately realizing that I should have tossed them many years ago) as well as tossed/donated items that I later regretted when I had to repurchase a similar item due to need/desire.

    To me, if it can be reused/repurposed somehow down the road, then THAT idea "sparks joy" for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Goodwill stores closest to me don't typically have the size and style of basket I was looking for. Mostly, they have very small baskets, or very large baskets, with very little in between, and the one's in between are the wrong shape. I was looking for a very particular size and style that Michael's usually has, but didn't on the day I went. Anyway, even taking into account Goodwill's prices, the one I made was still cheaper ... and I get to say that I made it ;). Win-win!

      Delete