Monday, August 1, 2022

Where Did the Time Go?

 I hadn't thought much about the fact that I haven't blogged most of this year, until I received a notfication of a comment from Nancy, basically, asking if things were okay up here in the northeast.  

Yes, but clearly, I've been neglecting a part of my life that is important to me.  I don't really have a reason that I haven't been blogging, except that, I guess I've felt a little full with other things and projects.   

What's been happening since February?

Lots of great family stuff:

  • Prodigal daughter returning from her internship on the other side of the equator.  
  • The "baby" taking a job as a co-worker (of sorts) with her dad. Then, taking a second job.  Then, deciding which of these two FULL-TIME jobs she wanted to keep, because working 80 hours a week is a lot for a teenager.  It's been a really enlightening six months for her.
  • Visits from out-of-state family.
  • Deus Ex Machina spending every weekend since May hiking and/or kayaking, which has been amazing!
  • Attending some fun faires, festivals, and live shows (which we haven't done since 2019), and in general, very much enjoying the fact that we live in Maine, a.k.a. "Vacationland."
  • Making more time for old friends.  

Lots of great homestead stuff:

  • Planting, tending, and harvesting the garden.
  • Doing some pickling/preserving (mostly eggs and jalepenos)
  • Still making soap.
  • Raising our annual allotment of meat birds.
  • Breeding our rabbits.
  • We are planning some home-renovations and improvements.  The original plan was hire someone to do the work, but it looks like we're going to have to do-it-ourselves.  Luckily, we have a lot of kids, and they are agreeing to help us out, which is amazing!  I am a lucky mama!

And working!  

  • If you recall, I started working at the library last October.  I love my gig as a library assistant.  It's a dream job, and I'm very much enjoying both the work and the people.  I feel very fortunate to have the job, because it is very deeply and personally satisfying work.  As I have said, many times over the years, the library is the BEST resource/service a community can provide for its residents.  It is the ONE place that has something for every one!  And I am very blessed to be a part of it.
  • I am also still serving the homeschool community as a resource teacher, and the summers are typically really busy with doing portfolio reviews.  So, that's taken most of my free time. 
  • And I am working on a novel.  I have half-a-dozen novels I've attempted over the years in various stages of completion, but I have always gotten stuck and not been able to finish them.  This time is a little different, because I started it differently, and so I'm hoping it will be the one that ultimately sees the bookstore shelves.  It is, of course, a post-apocalyptic story.  I mean, what else would one expect from me?  

So, thank you to Nancy, who reached out.  I apologize for appearing to drop off the grid.  I am still around and healthy and happy!  Things are pretty much "normal" - whatever that means.  Hopefully, I'll be able to post a little more regularly, starting probably in September, when the portfolio review season has ended.

Until next time, be well.  Stay cool ... and hydrated!

5 comments:

  1. So glad to hear everything is doing well! Must be great having your daughter back. Glad to hear your Gardens and everything's are going well and how about some photos when you have time? I always wanted to visit Maine I envy you having access to those cool locals. Our garden here is doing really great I just posted a new post. Hope everything continues to go well when I envy you working in the library! I was in elementary librarian for 10 years and a high poverty school and absolutely loved it, just couldn't stay because of the low pay. I hope and I retire I can go back to working into a public library as an assistant or helper. Enjoy your summer

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy to see an update. I've enjoyed the pictures you posted on IG, clearly you're staying busy. I'm glad Nancy thought to touch base though because I was just "assuming" all was well based on those posts!

    You've got so much going on - fun to catch up!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. PS If you need a beta or proofreader for that novel... you know I'm in. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What's your Instagram name? Would love to see what you're up to!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My Instagram handle is milkingsquirrels. My name on Instagram is Wendy Brown.

      Delete