Thursday, April 16, 2020

Haircut or Hugs?

On FB today a friend posed the question - at this point in our "social distancing", would you prefer a haircut or a hug?

When I was in high school, I learned to cut my own hair using a book my mother had purchased.  I have no idea why she bought that book, but it was like a lot of things we had - a very eclectic mix of "why do we have that?"  "Hey, look what we have!!!" that has framed how I live my own life.  I have a lot of both, and usually (like the elastics I mentioned in my previous post), I find out why I thought I needed that thing sometime later, and I get to pause and give thanks for the foresight that prompted me to keep whatever it is. 

Several years ago, in an effort to become more self-sufficient, which (for us) translated to "save money", I started cutting Deus Ex Machina's hair.   We have a pair of clippers, which I use to cut the sides, and then, I trim the top with scissors. 

The other day, I gave Deus Ex Machina a haircut.  When I was done, I said, "You could start a juicy rumor that you're sleeping with your hairdresser." 

The longer we stay home, and the more stuff I read on social media about other people's experiences, the more I realize how capable we have become at this whole DIY thing.  Fact is, we really have learned a lot over the years, and I guess we kind of take it all for granted, because we don't need to go out for a haircut.  We don't need to commission someone else to make us masks.  We don't need to pay for take-out.

What skills are you thankful for having learned that have helped you get through this quarantine?

2 comments:

  1. My husband has been cutting my hair for almost 3 years. Most of the time I have it pulled back - I like it off my face and it's better for our weather. So if he doesn't get it quite straight, no one will know (most likely not even ME).

    He is mostly bald and has just shaved his head for more than 15 years.

    The only one who needs haircuts any more is our son. My husband does have a beard trimmer and I have some hair shears, so we may do a little trim soon. The off base barbers and stylists are closed; on base is open, but masks are required, and I don't know if it's worth the exposure risk (our county confirmed cases have now doubled in a week again), plus making a kid sit there holding a mask to his face during the whole haircut. We might just trim up his sides/back with the trimmer and I can hand trim the top. Probably in the next few days, actually - we are back up to the 80s Fahrenheit now and he will need a shearing. hahaha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (I should add I can do without the hugs too. Well, from people outside my family. Not much of a hugger. LOL)

      Delete