Saturday, November 28, 2020

Thanksgiving ... from the Pantry

 I didn't go shopping for Thanksgiving dinner.  

On Veteran's Day, a full two weeks before Thanksgiving, my local grocery store had a special 10% off for Veterans.  So, I went shopping.  I would have gone shopping that week - not that day, but that week, and so it wasn't like I made a special trip, but that day was a little different, because I intended to get what we would need to get us through until after Thanksgiving.

My thoughts were:  the days leading up to Thanksgiving would be a mad-house at the grocery store because of the holiday; the Governor's newest mandates would make people anxious and in survivalist mode, which would make the grocery store a mad-house; and fewer trips to the grocery store saves us money.

With the goal of NOT returning to the grocery store for two weeks, I headed out, list in hand.  

Thing is, I already had most of what we would want for a "traditional" Thanksgiving Turkey dinner, and the only thing I purchased, special, for the meal was a pecan pie with a gluten-free crust from a Maine-based company, and turkey - I bought two turkeys, which ended up being a very good idea. 

I keep butter and cream on hand at all times.  I have a store of things like evaporated milk.  I have pumpkin, both canned and fresh, for pies.  I always have potatoes, onions, and garlic in the pantry.  I had some cabbages and home-grown sprouts for salads/slaw with ingredients for all sorts of dressings (we had standard cole slaw).  I have canned corn, if we'd wanted that.  We roasted butternut squash and acorn squash.  I also made homemade cranberry sauce from the cranberries in the freezer.

I even made "stuffing" - or my version of a savory bread crumb dish that's all as good as that "Stove-Top" stuff from the box.  

I didn't run out of anything.  I didn't have to go to the store for last minute stuff, and I didn't have to substitute anything.  Six of us enjoyed a homecooked meal - most of it from scratch (including the whipped cream made with heavy cream and powdered sugar).

And my youngest adult made beignets - from scratch.  

There was nothing super fancy about any of the food.  But that's not what it's about, is it?  It's about being thankful that we aren't starving; thankful for a successful harvest; thankful that we have enough food to get us through good times and bad.  

What I already knew, but was able to confirm from this Thanksgiving meal, was that we have enough, and for that I am incredibly and eternally thankful.

**My oldest daughter had originally planned to be with us on Thanksgiving, but had to change her plans last minute.  Unfortunately, it was VERY last minute, which meant that she couldn't get to the store.  I was able to give her turkey, potatoes, and cranberries from my pantry without sacrificing anything we wanted to have on our dinner table.

=====================================

Easy Stuffing - from the Pantry

1/2 stick of butter

1/2 onion, chopped

4 small cloves of garlic minced (optional)

2 tsp of dried sage (or to taste)

1 tsp celery salt (or to taste)

6 to 8 slices of bread - cut into small cubes

1/2 cup water or broth

Directions:

1.  Melt butter in a sauce pan.  Add onion and garlic.  Cook until aromatic.

2.  Add herbs/seasonings.

3.  Add bread crumbs and mix well to thoroughly coat the bread.

4.  Add broth, just enough to soak bread, but not make it soupy. 

I serve it right away without any extra cooking.  I have also used this same, basic, recipe to stuff acorn squash.  

3 comments:

  1. I bought turkey breasts and other holiday items in October. Of course part of that was just rebuilding the pantry after moving, but part of it was preplanning for reasons similar to yours. As soon as I saw turkey breasts at the commissary, I bought them, and I started stocking up on the sides as soon as the big displays arrived up front. It makes it easier, of course, since now I have everything on hand and won't have to worry about finding it later, but it also satisfied my urge to squirrel up and have food put by if things get bad this winter. Supply chain disruptions, the Virus Which Shall Not Be Named, bad weather, whatever. We're covered now. :)

    We did go grab some heavy cream on Wednesday, for making our own whipped cream. But I got a second one for Christmas pie too. heh heh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There should be a like button on the comments ;).

      Delete
  2. I love this recipe.. soooo good. Thank you for sharing..

    ReplyDelete