Friday, November 27, 2020

Using What I Have

I hate wearing a mask.  I have trouble breathing, which makes me pant, and then, my glasses fog up.  

It's a real problem.

There's a lot of advice out there about things I could put on my glasses to keep them from fogging up, but what happens when I clean off my glasses - with my shirt tail, because that's how we do it, right? - and the anti-fogging stuff wipes off?  

One of the problems was that my mask didn't fit tight to my face.  It's a simple, homemade cloth mask.  If I had put wire across the bridge part of the mask, I could cinch it down, or if I had a way to adjust the ear loops, maybe I wouldn't have that problem.

There are little things we could buy - little loop tightener-thingies.  I've also been advised that I can get a frame for the inside of my mask that will keep the mask off my face.

Here's the thing - and frankly I don't care if you agree with me or not - I REFUSE to support this industry that has sprung up around this virus.  I REFUSE to purchase masks (well, except the Halloween one with the big vampire smile, because ... well, it was funny!) or mask associated apparatus.  

Way back, in April, when masks became required attire in public places, I put my mad skills to use and made a bunch of masks.  I used materials I had on hand - elastic from old bed sheets and panties; and fabric from my stash.  The recommendation was two layers of tight-weave cloth, like quilter's fabric.  Flannel was also recommended/preferred.  I had a lot of both.  

Unfortunately, masks really aren't one-size-fits-all, and while Deus Ex Machina had no problem with the masks I made, I found mine were a bit loose.  

But it didn't matter all that much, because I only need to wear it when I'm out shopping - which is rare - and I figured it wouldn't be long before the mask was a bad memory.

Enter: The dreaded SECOND WAVE and the MASK MANDATES.

So, here I am, with ill-fitting masks, foggy glasses, and a bad attitude.

Instead of grinding my teeth to nubs, I decided to do the soldier thing:  suck-it-up and drive on.  In other words come up with a workable solution.

I started thinking about what I had that could fix my problem.

I could pull out my handy-dandy needle and thread and sew a loop in the ear pieces. 

Or I could fashion one of those loop adjuster thingies using materials that I have on hand.

As a homeschooling mom with very crafty kids, I have accumulated a lot of stuff over the years.  We practiced "strewing" in our unschooling household.  "Strewing" is a technique wherein the educational facilitator (i.e. Mom and Dad) leaves items for the kids to find and explore.  

Posters showing cursive handwriting, mathematical orders of operation, and the times table?  Check.

Books about every topic in the world?  Check.

Paint and painting supplies?  Check.

Beads for jewelry making?  YES!




I thought about what I had, on hand, that could work - the beads!  Then, I had to think a bit more about how to get the elastic through the bead.  The bent paperclip was a perfect tool. 

And it works!  The mask fits snugly to my face, without putting pressure on my nose, and keeps my glasses from fogging up.

I am pretty thankful that I never mustered the energy to do a full-on Marie Kondo of my home.  Too many of the things I might have donated or tossed, have come in handy - especially these last few months. 

That's not a recommendation to keep the clutter, but for me, there are definitely some things that I will think twice about simply jettisoning. 

And I love that I can usually find what I need, right here, where I am.  

 


No comments:

Post a Comment