Sunday, February 14, 2021

It's a Good Life

Today is overcast and cloudy.  Snow is in the forecast ... again.  I live in Maine.  Snow SHOULD be in the forecast during the winter, and that we're going to get snow, in February, shouldn't be a surprise or an emergency.  

I have a friend who lives in Texas, and the news stations down there are warning of the coming snow-pocalypse - according to her Facebook feed.  It's different here than there.  She says the store shelves are bare from people panic buying in advance of the storm.  One of her friends asked if Texan homes even had heat.  It's funny ... but not funny.  Being cold is no fun.

We spend a lot of time preparing for winter, here in our Maine suburban home.  During the summer, we spend many weekends working wood for our winter heat.  Some of our wood supply comes from purchased wood we get from a local firewood purveyor.  

Sometimes we are gifted wood.  One year we received a couple of small trailer loads of coppiced wood that a local tree firm had cut.  They just happened to be driving by our house and saw our stacks of firewood.  They stopped, on a whim, to ask if we wanted what they had in their trailer.  They'd been cutting trees locally, but didn't have anywhere, close, to dump their truck load.  They gave it to us.  The limbs were varying lengths and widths, and our task was to cut it to length and then split and stack it.  I got to try out my new chainsaw, which was cool.

My youngest daughter has really been enjoying our firewood prepping chores over the last few years.  A few summers ago, when were were out at my father-in-law's property cutting wood, she learned to use the gas powered splitter.  We don't have a gas powered splitter here.  Buying one is expensive, especially considering we can borrow the in-law's splitter, but also, we just don't have a place to store it. 

We do have a manual splitter and a maul.  She's learning to use both.


I looked over at her the summer before last, splitting wood barefooted and thought. "What a suburban-kid thing to do!", and immediately ran inside to grab my phone to get a picture - which is a quintessentially suburban mom thing to do, I think. 

Sometimes, I think it's funny that my kids have learned all of the skills that they've learned.  Knowing how to heat a house with wood is just one of the many skills we've forced them to know, because, for us, these skills teach them to do things for themselves.  They can stay warm.  They can eat.  They can survive - in the best of times and in the worst of times.

The reality of our lives is that we live in the suburbs.  Our daughters have lived this balance between going to the mall to hang out with their friends and having to do things, like keeping the woodstove going during the winter and collecting the eggs from the backyard chickens.

They've been given the opportunity to enjoy the best of being an urban kid (trips to see Broadway shows, eating at boutique restaurants, enjoying a latte from a real coffee shop, shopping for books in dusty, antique bookstores) and the best of being a farm kid (fluffy baby animals in the backyard, a healthy garden, county fairs, meaningful work).

Some writers speak of the suburbs as a failed experiment and as the "worst allocation of resources in history."  I don't agree.  I agree that the car-dependence of some suburbs and the unwillingness of some suburbanites to use their land to cultivate food is short-sighted and wasteful, but I also think, with some reimaging, and maybe retooling, the suburbs can be what save us in a powered down future.

For now, though, and for my family, I think it's the best of both worlds.  My daughters have been given this amazing opportunity to work hard doing work that has meaning (stacking wood is not easy, but it's absolutely necessary if we hope to stay warm in the winter), but they've also had the chance to live like a normal, suburban teenager.

That day, we were working wood, and as Precious split a log, she looked at Little Fire Faery, who was stacking the wood in neat rows against the fence, and asked, "Hey, do you want to go the mall later?"

And that's our life.  Stack wood in the morning.  Go to the mall in the afternoon.  Eat a home-cooked meal (slow-cooked roast from locally sourced beef, mashed potatoes from our garden, sweet corn from a local farmer, and baked caramel apples) in the evening.

Good work.  Good fun.  Good food.

It's a good life here in the suburbs.

4 comments:

  1. We resemble that remark, except summers here are too hot (as in, 90F+ with 90% humidity) to cut and split firewood. Of course, Georgia “winters” are short and mild enough that October and November is usually enough time to get a good stack together. I also hit upon the idea of turning split pieces sideways, at the end of a row, and the stack doesn’t require any support. I’ve built a six-foot cube of firewood that way.

    Funny you mention the gas splitter. We have one, but unless a piece has a huge knot, it’s less hassle using the maul and I need the exercise anyway. I’m sure you know the trick to aim about an inch or two from the edge for really wide pieces… one of the two times I surprised the #3|| out of my narcissist brother in law was when he declared I’d never split that two-foot piece of poplar. OK, I didn’t *split* it, but I trimmed slabs off it until it was small enough to split.

    We also have an electric chainsaw, that runs off a large Li-Ion battery. It’s not much lighter than the larger, gas-powered saw, but I always reach for it first because it’s sooooo much quieter… about as loud as a portable vacuum cleaner. Not cheap (it’s a Stihl, of course it’s not cheap), but I wouldn’t hesitate to use it first thing in the morning, even if I did live in the burbs. :D

    We actually have a fair stack of wood, but it’s green. We’ll use it next winter. I’d love to get out and hack up another truckload of (dry) firewood—I think one more will get us through—but it has been SO rainy over the last month. To be honest, I prefer a good snow to cold rain—at least you can get out and do stuff in the snow. (Here, snow usually happens in a very narrow band of temps—27° to 34°—but last weekend, we saw snow at 45°. I’m guessing we had a really cold layer of air up above, but “Georgia is just weird” covers most situations.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When we stack the wood, we do the same thing you mention. We have what we call a "book end." It's a pillar, basically, and we stack the pieces of wood in alternating rows. Then, we stack the rest of the wood all going the same direction in between the book ends. That way we don't need anything else to keep our stacks from falling over. Our stacks are around 5' tall all along the fence. Each 8' fence section is around a third of a cord.

      We also have an electric chainsaw - and a gas-powered one. The latter is good for when we go in the woods. I use the electric one for when we're working the wood that is gifted to us.

      Deus Ex Machina also prefers splitting wood by hand :). I mentioned that fact in my book, and someone commented that we "work harder, not smarter." I disagree that splitting wood by hand, a little at a time, over the course of the summer is "harder" than using a gas-powered splitter and trying to get it all done in a day, but whatever, right?

      I don't do much splitting, as I'm not very good at it. I have a great story of one time when I was trying to split wood with Deus Ex Machina watching. I'll share it some day soon :).

      Delete
  2. During the fall, my husband and dog watched a big old grandfather oak fall over near our home. Apparently the woodchucks just dug one too many holes under his roots and the old fellow was dead inside, and the rootball gave up the ghost to boot. A neighbor or two have chainsaws and have been going out periodically and trimming things off to suit their own needs, since the housing agency is in no hurry to bother getting an "eyesore, safety hazard" handled... Well, it suits a few of us just fine anyway. The guys with chainsaws limbed it, and we've gone out and drug the limbs home and split them up. Some of it is well seasoned as it was clearly dying off for a while; the rest will be a start for next fall/winter or, absolute worst case, could be burned this winter. We considered buying a cord in fall, but waited so long for them to even get the chimney cleaned that it didn't seem worth it.

    Looking at all our friends and family in Texas this week - as soon as we get our next home, stocking wood will be on the docket. I'm making sure to include a woodstove/fireplace on the list when I search homes back west, but at the very least, we will budget for adding one if we must. Up in that high desert, at the very least it's nice to take the chill off. I'm hearing this week's weather is being called a "once in a generation" weather occurrence - but then has another storm right behind it? Makes me concerned for what the rest of the generation has in store.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My plan is to die - right here - in this house (... well, maybe not RIGHT HERE. Maybe I'll be in a different room).

      BUT, if I did have to move for some silly reason, I would never live in a house without some sort of woodstove, woodstove insert, or fireplace - no matter where I live. As we've seen, even those down in the US south and southwest can experience bitter cold temperatures, and when the grid goes down - as it will and must - NOT having way to heat and cook would be awful.

      So, yeah - I'm totally in agreement with your plan to have a woodstove.

      And I absolutely LOVE that you and your neighbors are coppicing the tree ;). Good for you all!

      Delete