Thursday, February 4, 2021

Something Old Becomes Something New

On April 14, 2020, I made my first set of masks using a bunch of fabric I had on hand and some recycled elastics.  I thought I was done making masks.  Back in April of last year, most of us thought, by summer of 2020, we'd be done with masking, done with the virus.  

While most of us are, in fact, *done*, unfortunately, the virus is still with us, and so are the masks.

I've been planning to make some new masks for a while now.  I wanted to add a nose piece, because my hope is that if I can cinch the mask around my nose, my glasses won't fog up.  

So, I've been saving these wire tie wraps from the vegetables that I've been getting from Misfits Market*.



As luck would have it, they are easily cut using just a pair of scissors.  So, I snipped them into 2" pieces.

The masks I make call for two pieces of fabric cut into 6"x 9" pieces.  The ear elastics are 6" each side.  

I sewed everything together using my 1970s Singer sewing machine that Deus Ex Machina's grandma gave me (the machine is a workhorse of a sewing machine!).

Et voila! 

Deus Ex Machina has three "new" masks.

And I even made a new one for myself.  





*Full Disclosure:  If you sign up with Misfits Market using this link, I will get a referral credit on my next order.  





2 comments:

  1. Oo, good idea saving the ties!

    The new hairdo is ever so chic - looks great!

    ReplyDelete