Tuesday, August 3, 2021

Repairing

This post originally appeared on my blog - Surviving the Suburbs - in April 2014.  

******************************************

The rake handle broke last fall. 

I liked that rake a lot. I was kind of bummed.

The broom was started to look rather worn, and so we decided to get a new one. 

Then, the question was, what do we do the old one? 

I fixed the rake.

*******************************************

I still have that rake.  I still USE that rake, and, interestingly, the replacement handle has held up better than the original handle.

I took this picture today.




I might pick up some spray paint and paint the handle to make it last a bit longer, but honestly, she's still going strong.  

Which, I guess, is the best argument for repairing rather than replacing - when one can.  

And repurposing (using the broom handle to repair the rake) is also pretty cool.

A new leaf rake, the metal kind, like this one, is $40.  The only thing wrong with the rake was that the handle broke, and so, by fixing it rather than replacing it, I saved $40.  




No comments:

Post a Comment